- By Louise Bement
The South Lansing School was originally built on Conlon Road. When it burned the children attended the Grange Hall while waiting for the "new school" ( now the Lansing Community Library) to be built in 1925. There were no school buses in those days and all the children walked to the district schools which were located so that almost all the children walked under a mile. The Field School, which is the only remaining one room schoolhouse in Lansing, was nearby on the corner of Route 34 and Van Ostrand Road. At one time Lansing had 23 schoolhouses.