- By TCAD
- Business & Technology
- For the period between weeks ending 3/21 and 8/1, there have been 10,032 initial unemployment insurance claims in Tompkins County. Claims peaked at over 1,000 for a two-week period in late March/early April, but have since stabilized at approximately 200 per week. For the latest period, initial claims were down to the lowest level yet: 150.
- Retail sales, food preparation and service, nursing, and social and human services are the most in-demand jobs right now.
- Accountants, auditors, and software developers are the most in-demand remote jobs.
- Overall, jobs are down 40% in June 2020 vs. February 2020.
- There are actually more jobs in retail (including cashiers, sales, and stockers), fast food, motor vehicle operation and repair, and medical and dental technicians in June 2020 vs. February 2020.
- As of July 12th, new job postings for New York State* are still 29% below what they would have been if COVID-19 had never happened
*State-level data is the narrowest filter available for Chmura's Expected Volume Model.